questions about fractions on a Y-chart. Function: How do fractions work and what are they for? Form: What are they like? Connection: How is it connected to other things? record everything they want…
“Comparing fractions and % Problem solving with fractions, decimals and percentages Exercise in resolving word problems using fractions, decimals and percentages.”
“psychologists Robert Siegler and Hugues Lortie-Forgues outline the reasons why rational number arithmetic is so difficult. By this term, the researchers include not only fractions expressed i…
“students will use only 0 and 1 as benchmarks, then many will often inaccurately place the fractions in the following order:PictureThis misconception offers a great opportunity to discuss how…
Links to a number of math resources associated with regular newsletter blog posts
- “To elicit students’ questions about fractions, she designed a visual Question Focus (QFocus). She found that using the students’ questions and work helped her better understand
- “Fractions Progression Module consisting of videos paired with illustrative tasks to help teachers better understand the development of concepts and skills around fractions from grades 3-5
- “Math Games – Learn while you play fun games!” and Language Arts Games – Practice skills with educational games variety of games for Kindergarten through fifth grade aligned
- “Math Timed Tests Math Timed Tests 2 Fraction Circles Worksheets”
- Go on a scavenger hunt! Try these apps and web tools- KlikaKlu app, Goose Chase app, QRWild.com, and the Qr Treasure Hunt Generator. Send them on photo challenges. Get them taking pictures
- use Pattern Shapes to explore geometry and fractions, creating their own designs, or filling in outlines. As they work with the shapes students explore geometric relationships, think about angles
- basic math tutorial, you will gain a basic understanding of fractions, in addition to learning how to work with common denominators, reducing and improper fractions.
- “creating a mosaic or a quilt where students must develop the percent, decimal, and fraction for their design. Each student was given a 10 by 10 square that they were to color
- To play roll the dice; reinforce words such as numerator and denominator. If a 2 and 4 are rolled, color in 2/4’s of the circle cut in fourths OR an older child might realize
- different ways to use fractions to teach math.
- “Free Math Clipart for teachers! Over 9,960 images for algebra, geometry, trigonometry, probability, money, number sense, and more. This collection of illustrations for teachers and students